I’ve already tried a lot of Olay moisturizers: Oil of Olay, Age Protect, Total Effects (Normal, Gentle, and Blemish-prone), Regenerist Superstructure SPF 30, Natural White Night Cream, and Natural White SPF 24.
Of all of them, Age Protect is my favorite. It’s straightforward and BS-free. Even the name is clear cut, unlike the fancy-sounding “Regenerist.”
I got to know about it when I was looking for the discontinued Olay Total Effects Blemish-prone Skin variant.
Since that variant wasn’t available anymore, I looked for any other Olay moisturizer that has salicylic acid on the label—this one does.
I almost didn’t buy it because I haven’t heard about it from anywhere. I haven’t seen any event for this in blogosphere nor have I stumbled upon any review from the A-listers. I don’t know if they have a TVC for this (I don’t own a tv for conventional tv viewing).
I am thankful for the seemingly inadequate advertising. I bet, that’s one of the major reasons why this is quite cheap at Php 129/ tube (available at Watsons).
I’ve already finished 3 tubes before I replaced it with what was on sale at the time: Olay Natural White Night Cream which ended up being used as a body lotion).
I use this only at night. For the day, I prefer sunscreen i.e., Regenerist Superstructure SPF 30.
To be honest, I didn’t expect this to work the way it did.
Here’s what that I like about it:
- For a cream-type moisturizer it feels very light.
- It moisturizes, yet I don’t wake up looking like someone smeared oil on my face while I was sleeping. This was a BIG surprise. I’m oily and I’m used to greasy-face mornings, so waking up to something unbelievably dewy glowing skin is like:
- It absorbs fast and doesn’t give the sitting-on-top-of-the-skin feeling.
- It’s affordable.
- Also sold in travel-size (and it’s easy to travel with).
How I use it:
Any less will not give the supple feel in the morning and too much will feel greasy.
As for the claims, I can’t say much about it lightening dark spots, visibly reducing wrinkles, and improving skin tone. Because alongside this, I use salicylic acid face washes, sunscreen, and tretinoin cream. And all 3 of those already carry a huge chunk of the anti-aging and skin tone improvement workload on my skin.
But as far as moisturization goes, this does great job.
- Scent: It smells a lot like baby soap.
- Packaging: Functional tube packaging.
- Absence of SPF: Since I use it at night, I’m ok with it being sans SPF.
- If you’re oily and you decide to use this in the day time–you know what you’re getting yourself into. To be fair, its nowhere near as greasy as the other Olay moisturizers.
- I feel like this can be a dupe for Olay Total Effects for blemish-prone skin.
Olay Total Effects Blemish-Prone Ingredients:
active ingredient: salicylic acid 2%. inactive ingredients: water, ppg-15 stearyl ether, glycerin, stearyl alcohol, cetyl betaine, distearyldimonium chloride, sodium lauryl sulfate, oxidized polyethylene, cetyl alcohol, steareth-21, behenyl alcohol, ppg-30, steareth-2, fragrance, disodium edta.
Olay Age Protect Ingredients:
Water, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Salicylic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Polyacrylamide, Dimethicone, C13-14 Isopaaffin, Steareth-21, Cyclopentasiloxane, Laureth-7, Fragrance, Dimethiconol, Steareth-2, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf juice.
As an evening moisturizer, the purpose I intended it for, this is very good. It will be among the list of moisturizers I can see myself re-purchasing (coz I already did).