I think my 2018 makeup and skincare low-buy challenge went well. I emptied (or let go of) 135 beauty products, but acquired 85 — a ratio of 1.6 : 1. Not bad.
I did better towards the end of the year which made me feel confident to attempt a modified No-Buy for 2019, which will now include clothes and shoes (and other non-necessities like fountain pens and ink). Here are my rules:
- I’m allowed to buy true replacements.
- For makeup and skincare — if I’m not buying a replacement, I should let go of 3 items (I know, too strict, but that’s the point). For other items one-in-one-out.
- Once in a blue moon, I am sent skincare and makeup PR samples. I should only accept it IF it’s something I would really buy or if it’s something I know I will use (e.g., sunscreen, retinoids, vitamin c serum, etc).
- For clothes and shoes — it’ll be a little tricky. I lost a lot of weight last year and I need to buy several clothing items that make me feel great. I can’t go more than week without doing the laundry now, which is fine, but I prefer to have buffer days. I’m planning to have 2 weeks worth of clothes in rotation, excluding workout clothes.
- All of my purchases should be made in cash.
- For any purchase made, I should deposit in my savings account an amount equal to the value of the thing I bought. I will open a separate bank account for this.
- I’m only allowed gourmet coffee if it’s for spending time with my husband, family, and friends. Otherwise, I should log these solo coffee purchases and deposit the same amount in my savings account.
For documentation purposes, I’m logging all purchases, gifts, empties, and anything I let go of in my journal. I hope I can post a monthly update.